Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Underpaid Mothers

Hey YOU!  Yeah, the one with the kid, and the diaper bag, running around all crazy like.  Do you know how incredible you are?
My wife read me an article the other day that just fired me up, in a good way, because it was one of the best descriptions and examples of how absolutely amazing our mothers are.  In this article the author talked about something his wife said while they were discussing a purchase they were about to make.  She said something along the lines of, "well you bring home the bacon, so you make the call".  His response was to shine a light on the fact that, in all truthfulness, he couldn't afford his wife. 
He can't afford her because her professions, wife, home maker, mother,  and the hours she pours in equate to a yearly salary that he could never afford to pay her.  Everything she does, the car and love she puts in, the organizing, the kissed booboo's, the meals, the birthday parties, and SO much more make his wife and the mother of his children one of the hardest working woman he's ever seen.
Just think about this for a second.  The mother in your life, your mother, or maybe the person who holds a motherly position in your life, just think about all she does, each and every day.  Now look at that through the lens of a working professional.  Here in Seattle, the new minimum wage is $15.00.  The average mom is putting in more than 100 hours a week easy so let's do a little math.

15.00x100=1,500.00
1,500x30=6,000.00
6,000x12=72,000.00

So at 15.00 and hour, she would be pulling in 72,000.00 a year, and that's not counting the fact that she doesn't slow down or stop working on holidays.  In truth, we're probably looking at more like 100,000.00 a year!

My point here is that yes, I work everyday, 3 jobs in fact, to support my family and give them the things they need and want.  My wife, and the mother of my daughter, works just as hard, if not harder, than I do, spending every day caring for our amazing little girl, dealing with every tantrum, celebrating every victory, all while still keeping track of our home.  My own mother heald down a job while still being an amazing wife and incredible mother.  She was at every show I ever played, acted as a spiritual mentor to me, prayed for my siblings and I constantly.  Heck, I married my wife because I saw the same character traits in her that I've seen my mother demonstrate my entire life.  

Mothers, you are incredible, priceless, and beyond worthy to be recognized as truly great.  You enrich and sharpen us, comfort, and refresh us, encourage, and inspire us.  You truly have one of the hardest jobs in the world, and yet you walk through life with grace, and u fathomable beauty.  You may be stopping me there and laughing as you look yourself over, scanning down your current attire, disheveled hair, makeupless face.  But I challenge you, because those things paint a picture of just how grace filled, stunningly beautiful, and strong you are.  

To my wife,
You are my treasure and the most incredible gift I have ever been given.  I see how hard you work.  I'm amazed at how much of my craziness you put up with on the daily lol.  I could never have asked for a more incredible mother for our daughter.  I love you.

To my madre,
You absolutely amazing me and are a living example of what it means to be strong inside and out.  You're a superwoman!  Thank you for teaching me what it means to be a man of honor and character. Love you SO much madre!