Wednesday, December 24, 2014

My Most Popular Youtube Video: Vocal Improv (Scat)


When I did this video I didn't really think much of it.  I was bored and hanging out at my parents place one weekend and decided to do a little scat solo in the kitchen.

Though I may not have been putting much thought in to it at the time, vocal improv is something I truly love and appreciate.  If you are an aspiring Jazz vocalist the key to learning how to scat is listening to other artists who already do it well.  Listen to their stuff like crazy and mimic what they do.  I used to drive nearly 2 hours to class every day during college and would spend a good chunk of that time with a CD of just a rhythm section playing changes and scat over the top.  You'll feel kinda weird for a while, but you'll get the hang of it.