Friday, March 20, 2015

In Their Shoes: the Hurricane Demo

I'm re-posting this today because I truly am excited about it.
I believe that the ability to imagine oneself in the shoes of another, writing from that perspective, is a gift that can make you an incredible force to be reckoned with in the music industry.  To empathize with the person you're picturing, what they're feeling, emoting that in to your music and lyrics.  It's one of my greatest challenges but also one of the most rewarding.

I wrote "Hurricane" in this manner.  I've had only a small handful of relationships, leading up to meeting my incredible wife, Sarah, and none of those were anything like what the song describes.  Because of this I had to sit back, close my eyes, and imagine what a man in those shoes may be feeling.  I actually would listen to other songs that talked about similar subject matter, and even tuned in to some movie clips that showed the pain and frustration of a failing relationship.

All of that to say that I am excited about the tune and will, at some point in the near future, be releasing an official version.  This current recording is a demo for all y'all to sample (is it weird for a guy born and raised in Washington state to use "y'all?)

banner